Today is the perfect example of the times I “follow a recipe” which is really when I find 1 or 2 recipes and choose to make some combination of the two. What I call….creative….
- 1/2 lb. pasta (i ended up with less pasta because I accidentally forgot to get more penne and only had 1/4 lb. gemelli)
- 2 T. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1/2 white onion (large and diced)
- 6 baby bella mushrooms
- 1 medium bunch organic kale (they were out of non-organic kale and I think it was actually cheaper)
- 2 T. vegetable stock
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 T. goat cheese
- Cook pasta according to package.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a wok or wide pan and mix in garlic, until starting to brown. Add onion until it starts to become translucent. (I love my wok and how it helps to toss everything together)
- Quarter mushrooms and add them to the pan until softened (4 minutes).
- Separate kale from the stalk and cut into 1-2 inch leaf chunks. Add the vegetable stock. Toss in the pan until leaves are shiny and fragrant (5 min).
- Remove from heat and add a dash of black pepper and the goat cheese (this will allow the goat cheese to melt a bit).
- Add cooked pasta to the cooling pan and toss together.
- Serve immediately. Garnish with extra goat cheese if desired.
The pasta dish paired perfectly with my lovely merlot, as I snuggled in to watch the snow accumulate while finishing up continuously watching of the final season of Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Snowpocalypse hibernation begins!