After a weekend full of friends and parties, I have been a major vegetable (no pun intended) today –watching episodes of the X-Files on Netflix and doing some wedding planning. But I figured I would do something good for myself and plan a comforting but nutritious meal. I decided on this polenta with swiss chard and beets recipe since the colors looked spectacular. Mine turned out pretty, if I do say so myself.
-4 c. water
-1 c. cornmeal
-2 T. butter
-3 T. parmesan
-1 bunch red beets
-1 bunch green swiss chard
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-3 T. olive oil
-2 T. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash beets and remove the greens and root. Put cleaned beets into baking dish and cover with water. Put layer of foil over baking dish and put into oven for 50 minutes.
- Carefully remove beets from oven and rinse with cold water. Once cooled, use a paper towel to remove the skin from the beets.
- Place 4 cups of water in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk the cup of cornmeal into the water and bring the water to a simmer.
- Stir in parmesan, butter, and season with salt and pepper.
- Wash the swiss chard and remove the stems as they extend from the leaf.
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat. When warmed, add minced garlic.
- When garlic starts to brown slightly, add swiss chard. When wilted, remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and lemon juice.
Layer in a bowl and enjoy! If you try it, leave a comment and let me know what you think.